Top 10 Best Essential Oils for Beard Growth
Some guys might not always find it necessary to apply oil to their scalp or beard. After all, our skin naturally produces sebum, our body’s own oil used to moisturize and protect. But this natural sebum only goes so far. Our beards and hair on the top of our heads go through a lot of wear and tear. With multiple washings, exposure to harsh chemicals, and dead skin and dust accumulating, our hair can become stripped of its natural oils.
All of this can cause bearded split ends, itchy and flaky beardruff (beard dandruff), and a lack of beard growth. But there’s no need to worry. There is a solution to all of this. Essential oils, when used in conjunction with one another, are actually a great natural alternative to harmful shampoos and other cleaning agents.
Research behind these oils is growing, with scientists recently starting to develop controlled human trials. But thanks to a number of recent studies and over thousands of years of traditional use, these oils are being used to promote growth, maintenance, and health for beards.
A number of our beard products have a mixture of some of these ultra-powerful oils. We’ve put together a list of the 10 best essential oils for beard growth. These are proven to work and will take your beard growth and beard care routine to the next level.
All of these oils combined together make up one of our best selling and most highly rated grooming items – our Growth Oil.
The Jojoba plant (pronounced “ho-ho-buh”), known as the Simmondsia chinensis, is a plant that grows primarily in southwestern areas of the United States and Mexico. The plant is also cultivated in a few other places around the world, including India and China.
Indigenous people have used Jojoba oil for hundreds of years. Fallen Jojoba seeds are picked up off the ground and heated up to create a buttery oil paste. Indigenous people also used it in their medicine as well.
Jojoba oil is a liquid wax and is very similar to the structure of sebum. It’s a rich oil that has a number of benefits for both your skin and beard:
- Helps to spread natural sebum oil throughout follicles, strengthening growth and lessening the grease.
- A natural moisturizer that keeps the skin saturated with hydration for a period of 24 hours.
- Anti-inflammatory properties that calm down inflamed skin and counteracts beard acne. Additionally, inflamed hair follicles are usually the cause of thin and weak hair growth. Jojoba fights this off.
- An antioxidant that clears your beard from infections that could affect your skin health.
Jojoba oil is unique in the way that it will help to both moisturize and minimize damage to your beard.
For the longest time, sunflower oil has been largely known and labeled as an oil used in cooking and frying foods. Scientifically known as the Helianthus annuus, the seeds from the sunflower plant are very healthy for us to consume. But the oils also have a number of beneficial properties for our beards.
It has a number of vitamins stacked inside of it like vitamins A, C, D, and E, as well as lecithin and carotenoids.
All of these properties and vitamin makeup help contribute to hair and beard growth:
- Sunflower oil is an emollient, which means it helps the skin retain moisture.
- The Beta-Carotene inside the oil helps to protect beards from harmful UV rays and prevent sun damage.
- Multiple vitamins all concentrated together help prevent wrinkles and damage underneath the skin of your beard – leaving the rest of your skin looking younger and more vibrant.
- Vitamin A inside the oil is a powerful ally for exfoliating and producing smooth skin. It also helps to regulate sebum production and repair the cell structure of the epidermis on your skin.
- Increases and balances blood flow to aid in a more glowing and bountiful growing appearance.
Good thing we figured out sunflower oil isn’t just good enough to eat, but to put onto our beards as well!
This superfood that has seemed to have spread a wild health craze isn’t just a great thing to eat. Avocado oil isn’t as well known as other oils used for hair and beard growth. It, of course, comes from the avocado fruit (persea gratissima). It’s a great moisturizer and comes loaded with antioxidants.
Look no further than the wise Aztecs who knew how to harness the amazing and fulfilling properties of the avocado:
- Avocado Oil is great for treating excessively dry skin and eliminating the root cause of dandruff.
- It has a natural sterolin that helps to reduce age spots.
- Avocado oil has vitamins A, D, and E.
- The oil plumps up collagen production and gives your beard a fuller and more healthy appearance.
Avocado Oil is absorbed easily and is a great addition to any type of beard growth oil mixture.
Coconut Oil is a widely versatile component in many men’s grooming products and even cooking recipes. The oil itself, which comes from the cocos nucifera, can be used to help control unruly hairs and shape your beard. Hydrated and softer beards are easier to grow and will be much easier to manage.
The coconut smell is a fresh tropical breeze. It’s a natural scent that people will love. Here are some of its best health and grooming qualities:
- Coconut oil is made up of fatty acids which kill pathogens, bacteria, viruses, and fungi. This could potentially help you ward off infections.
- Studies have shown that when it interacts with dry skin, it helps to improve the moisture content and reduce eczema.
- The oil is another kind of protective agent that helps ward off hair damage from the sun. This study showed that it worked as a sunscreen, blocking 20% of the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
- Coconut oil can be used in addition to a quality scalp and beard conditioner to help support hair regrowth and stimulate blood circulation.
- While we don’t recommend swallowing your beard oils, coconut oil has been found to enact a process called oil pulling when used as a mouthwash. This means that it’ll help improve your dental health, kill bad breath and eliminate bad bacteria in your mouth.
Coconut oil helps to protect against skin damage and could even work to destroy harmful diseases.
Castor oil has a rich history as its use stretches back for thousands of years. The plant Ricinus communis was first grown and harvested by ancient Egyptians. It was used to improve skin and hair conditions. Castor beans come from the plant, which is grown in mostly tropical conditions. These beans are filled with minerals and nutrients that contribute to expedited hair growth.
There are two ways to extract the oil. Either through applying heat and pressing to get a high yield of castor oil, or by cold pressing in order to retain more of the beneficial nutrients and compounds.
Here are some of the benefits that castor oil has for beard growth:
- One unique aspect of castor oil is the ability to prevent hair loss. Beard hair loss or shoddy growth times can be remedied by getting better blood circulation and making new beard follicles productive.
- Castor oil is antifungal and also has antibacterial properties.
- While castor oil isn’t a moisturizer, it will help stimulate blood flow to get those thick roots growing.
- It’s great for dealing with broken hairs and split ends.
- You’ll actually see a much denser appearance in your beard as the makeup of the oil is both dense and thick. Just the components of the castor oil will make your beard look bigger.
Castor oil is a wonderful addition to any beard growth oil, and with great fatty acids, it’ll help on your growth journey.
Cedarwood oil is most likely one of the first instances of humans using essential oil. Hailing from the grand Cedrus atlantica Manetti or family of Cedar trees, this oil has the benefits and scents to match any other oil.
The scent of Cedarwood is great for relieving stress, tension and leaving a lingering scent on your beard all day long. This scent produces serotonin which converts to melatonin to help you regulate your sleep and wakefulness.
Along with its inherent soothing nature, the oil is important for beard maintenance and growth:
- Cedarwood helps by treating dry scalps and those hard-to-reach places under your beard follicles by moisturizing and stimulating circulation.
- The oil is also an antiseptic that can help protect you from any cuts you might get from trimming your neckline or cheeks while grooming.
- Cedarwood contains sesquiterpenes which help release toxins from your body and naturally wards off insects too.
Combine cedarwood oil with the other oils in this list for a powerful and alluring scent.
Vetiver oil is a famous oil all over India, popularly known as "Khus" or "Khus-Khus." The oil is an anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, tonic, and even an aphrodisiac.
The plant known as the Vetiveria zizanioides or Andropogon muricatus is a kind of grassy plant that emits an earthy and musky scent. The oil has a cooling effect when applied to the beard or body. The best way to retrieve this essential oil is through steam distillation from the roots and grassy parts of the plant.
Some of its notable main components contain:
- alpha Vetivone
- Benzoic acid
- Beta Vetivone
- Vetivenyl vetivenate
Here are some of the benefits you can expect from utilizing this in a beard oil:
- The soothing and calming effects of the oil will help to combat inflammation and target both the circulatory and nervous system. It's also an appropriate oil to use for sun damage after the fact.
- Vetiver oil can speed up the healing process of scars and other marks on your skin. It helps to promote new tissue growth around dead and discolored areas of the skin.
- The oil helps to promote the healing of wounds and stop the spread of infections caused by harmful microbes.
- Helps to reduce dryness and cracking of beard follicles.
Vetiver remains a powerful source of healing and moisturizing for the beard and beyond!
With its incredible smell and important role in beard growth, peppermint oil is one of the most important components of a beard oil. Known as a hybrid plant Mentha × piperita, or also as Mentha balsamea wild, it's important to understand how this affects the beard growth process and how it can help combat common beard growth issues.
The androgen hormone, Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) has been a widely studied hormone that has potential to affect male hair growth. DHT was linked to many male health problems - some including baldness. However, after further research, it's been found that DHT also offers some health benefits as well for beard growth.
A lot of men's hair loss and hair growth solutions effectively block DHT. The solution found in a popular product like Rogaine - minoxidil or MXD is one such chemical that blocks DHT while promoting head hair growth.
This is where peppermint oil comes in. It doesn't block the DHT, and it also increases blood flow to all hair follicles. This means that it'll bring more nutrients to your beard faster to make it much healthier.
In this recent study, it was found that a 3% peppermint oil solution promoted hair growth by inducing the early anagen stage (where hair grows and isn't resting) and increased the vascularization of the epidermal glands. Peppermint oil has an incredible amount of versatile uses.1,2
Overall, here are some ways it affects the beard:
- The great smell of peppermint oil leaves a tingly and refreshing minty scent.
- Just a few drops mixed into an overall growth beard oil is more powerful than drinking herbal teas made from the same plant.
- Peppermint oil helps to reduce sebum production, further preventing the occurrence of ingrown hairs and diminishing the appearance of enlarged pores.
- Scientific research is gaining on this miracle plant, and concrete links to hair growth are becoming more and more evident each day.3
In a sense, peppermint oil is helping to stimulate better blood circulation beneath the skin, which in turn helps to encourage more hair to grow in the bearded area that needs it most.
Rice Bran Oil
Rice bran oil is a popular ingredient to use in cooking throughout many parts of Asia. It is extracted from the hull of rice and is known for its high smoking point and mild flavor. By using high temperatures, makers are able to extract it from the rice husk.
The plant is from what we commonly refer to as rice or Oryza sativa. Rice bran contains omega-9 and omega-6 fatty acids, which are well known for keeping skin and hair soft and smooth while stimulating growth.
Here are some additional benefits of rice bran oil for beard growth:
- One of its components, y-oryzanol along with tocopherols and tocotrienols have properties that act as antioxidants and hair growth promoters.
- It also contains inositol, which is a carbohydrate that prevents dandruff and gets rid of split ends.
- The omega fatty acids help to prevent premature graying of your beard.
- Multiple studies show that the linoleic acid combined with the oryzanol boosts hair growth and strengthens the roots.4
Rice might be a staple food, but rice bran oil is starting to look like one of the top essential oils as well.
Vitamin E Oil
Finally, we take a look at an extra boost of vitamin E. There are plenty of vitamins you get in your food that contribute to your vitamin E intake. By applying vitamin E oil directly to your face, you'll be able to do a number of things to your beard:
- Vitamin E softens beard hair making it easier to groom and style.
- The vitamin increases blood flow and stimulates facial hair growth.
- You can find vitamin E in the majority of essential oils.
Our Beard Growth Oil combines these all together to create a functional, safe and healthy way to get the best benefits of all of these oils without toxicity or loss of active ingredients. Together, combined with carrier oils like, for example, Jojoba, and mixed with peppermint, allows for a powerful growth-stimulating beard oil.
Essential Oils for Beard Growth Kit
Every single one of these ingredients is inside The Beard Club's growth oil. If you've ever had a hard time growing a beard or just need an extra boost, then this product can help you.
Now, these oils are just what's inside the growth oil. If you take a look at our Beard Growth Kits, you'll be entering into a new universe of bearded growth potential.
Here at the Beard Club, we hope that these top 10 essential oils for beard growth will help you grow your beard, repair damaged hair, and promote an overall healthy life.
Beard on brothers, and let the growth be with you.