Does Beard Growth Oil Work? Everything We Know
Sometimes even things that grow naturally need a little extra maintenance and care. Like a perfectly manicured lawn, that house plant in your living room, and yes—even your beard.
The right beard oil can moisturize, protect, and enhance your beard as well as the skin underneath. To make the most of an oil’s beard-boosting properties, however, it helps to know how it works—and how you should use it, too.
The Beard-Growing Basics: How Does Beard Growth Oil Work?
It might seem like magic, but how beard oil works actually comes down to science. Here’s the breakdown of how beard oil can support your facial hair:1
How Do Other Beard Growth Products Differ?
Anyone asking “Does beard oil work?” is probably wondering the same about the other options—namely, beard balm, beard growth spray and beard growth vitamins.
Turns out, all four beard growth products can help to achieve the same benefits, just in different ways
- Beard balm contains many of the same beard-strengthening components like the carrier oils in regular beard oil. Beard balm, on the other hand, has a variety of additional ingredients designed to tame your beard's flyaway hairs and shape and sculpt your beard for enough beard styles to feed a village.
- Beard growth vitamins work from within, each ingredient playing a different role. Vitamin D, for example, can help to boost testosterone production and create new hair follicles, whereas biotin boosts keratin production, which can increase your hair’s resilience and make styling it a cinch.3,4,
- Beard growth spray can pack many of the same nutrients, but like oil, it works from the outside in. Many sprays are water-based instead of oil-based, making them more suitable for those with oily or acne-prone skin.2
For those that want superior moisturizing and enhancing qualities, however, beard oil wins in terms of hydration and style.
When and How Often Should You Apply Beard Growth Oil?
Factors like your beard’s length and thickness, the climate you live in, and your skin type may affect how often your beard needs a little extra moisture and style.
That said, you should generally plan to apply your beard oil once a day.1 This could be during your morning hygiene routine or before you go to bed.
Your personal beard oil routine might depend on when you have the most time to apply it. However, try to occasionally oil your beard after you shower. The steam from all that warm water can help to prepare your pores for even more hydration.
How to Apply Your Beard Growth Oil
Growing a healthy beard might not always seem simple. Luckily, using your beard growth oil is pretty straightforward.
After you’ve hopped out of the shower, dried off, and have the bottle of beard growth oil in hand, here’s what comes next:1
- Squeeze a dime-sized amount of oil into your hand, then rub it into your palms and fingers.
- Gently lather the oil into the sides of your beard. No need to be rough, but don’t worry if it spreads to your skin. Beard care is part skincare, remember?
- Rub the oil down the front of your beard a few times, then sift your fingers back up through your beard.
- If you’re sporting a mustache, trail your fingers through it.
- Using a folding beard comb or beard brush, comb your beard as you like, spreading the oil evenly, so you get the full benefits.
The whole process shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes, so you can spend the rest of the day or night knowing you’ve taken good care of your beard and your skin.
How Long Does it Take to See Results from Beard Growth Oil?
Do beard oils work after a day? A week? A month? You use them because you want results, so you understandably might want to know how long it takes.
The true answer: it depends.
While some may see results in as little as a month, it may take 6–8 weeks for others to reach their desired beard length.5
You may start to benefit from the moisturizing, enhancing, and protecting properties of beard growth oil as soon as you start to use it. But the length of beard you aim to grow is one of the biggest factors in how long it takes to reach your beard growth goal.
Are There Side Effects of Using Beard Growth Oil?
Aside from the many beard oil benefits, what side effects can you potentially expect from beard growth oil?
Mainly, any side effects you might experience relate to how your skin reacts to certain ingredients. These may include:2
- Allergies – If you’re sensitive or allergic to certain ingredients, make sure to read the label before you start applying.
- Breakouts – If you have acne-prone skin or oily skin, adding more oils might not suit your complexion. Instead, you might want to opt for a water-based beard spray.
- Sun sensitivity – You’ll also want to take extra care when you’re out in the sun, as beard oil can make your skin more sensitive to its rays.6
You can avoid any side effects by patch-testing your beard oil on a small area of your skin for 48 hours before applying it all over. If you don’t see any reactions, you’re good to go (and grow).
The Beard Club: You Grow It, We’ll Help You Keep It
Does beard oil help your beard grow? Sure does. Understanding how it works, how and when to use it, and how long it can take are key to growing the beard of your dreams—so you’re already well on your way.
On the lookout for beard products including beard oils, beard growth kits, or handy men's grooming tools to aid you on your bearded journey? For the best beard growth tips, look no further than The Beard Club.
- The Huffington Post. What The Heck Is Beard Oil, And How Does It Work? https://www.huffpost.com/entry/what-is-beard-oil_n_5a340891e4b01d429cc877fa
- American Academy of Dermatology. A Dermatologist's Top Tips For A Healthy Beard. https://www.aad.org/public/everyday-care/skin-care-secrets/face/healthy-beard
- International Journal of Endocrinology. Vitamin D and Male Sexual Function: A Transversal and Longitudinal Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5817208/
- Skin Appendage Disorders. A Review of the Use of Biotin for Hair Loss. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5582478/
- The Beard Club. How to Grow a Beard in 3 Weeks. https://thebeardclub.com/blogs/beard-culture/how-to-grow-a-beard-in-3-weeks
- Healthline. The Many Benefits of Beard Oil and How to Use It. https://www.healthline.com/health/does-beard-oil-work-2