20 Short Beard Styles For All Face Shapes
Facial hair is more than just a natural aspect of your appearance—it's an expression of your personality, a visual representation of your style, and for many, a crucial part of your identity. Different beard styles can say a lot about a person, making it essential to pick the one that suits you best.
We’re here to help you navigate the wide variety of short beard styles and find the one that best compliments your facial features and personal style.
Matching the Short Beard Style With Your Face Shape
Just like your hairstyle, the right beard style can highlight your best features and suit your overall appearance. Let's delve into how to match your short beard style with the shape of your face:
Round Face: If you have a round face, styles that add length and reduce width work best. A short boxed beard or classic beard trimmed to medium-length at the chin area can help elongate your face.
Square Face: A square face is marked by a strong, angular jawline. Soften your features with a circle beard or a full beard trimmed to a rounder shape, avoiding sharp lines.
Long Face: For longer faces, styles like a full goatee or anchor beard can help create a balanced look, adding width without increasing length. The handlebar mustache can also add character without emphasizing length.
Oval Face: Often considered the most versatile face shape, an oval face can pull off almost any style, from the balbo to the beardstache. Experiment to see what suits your facial features best.
Exploring Short Beard Styles
The beauty of facial hair is that there is no one-size-fits-all solution. A wide variety of short beard styles cater to different tastes, facial shapes, and hair growth patterns. Let's delve into the world of short beards and explore the most popular styles.
1. Stubble Beard: One of the simplest yet most stylish beard styles is the stubble beard. It's essentially the very short facial hair that appears a few days after shaving. A well-maintained stubble beard can add a rugged charm to your look.
2. Short Stubble: This is essentially a very short, evenly-trimmed beard, giving a subtle, masculine effect. It's very low-maintenance and perfect for those who prefer a more casual beard look.
Classic and Timeless Beards
3. Short-Boxed Beard: The short-boxed beard is a classic, low-maintenance style that requires careful grooming to maintain its distinct shape. It encompasses the jawline and chin area, with the hair neatly trimmed to a short length.
4. Classic Beard: The classic beard is a full beard that covers the chin, cheeks, and mustache areas. It's often kept short for a neat, timeless appearance.
5. Circle Beard: A circle beard, sometimes referred to as a 'standard' beard, is a chin beard combined with a mustache that forms a circle. This style is classic and very adaptable to most face shapes.
6. Natural Beard: The natural beard is characterized by a healthy growth of facial hair that is minimally trimmed. Despite its casual, 'wild' appearance, it may require regular upkeep to maintain a neat look.
Unique and Unconventional Beards
7. Beardstache: A fusion of a mustache and a short beard, the beardstache is characterized by a prominently groomed mustache coupled with a stubble beard. It is a perfect style for those wanting a unique, vintage-inspired look.
8. French Fork: The French Fork is a full beard that splits down the middle at the chin, creating a 'forked' appearance. It's an unconventional style that offers a unique look.
9. Ducktail Beard: The Ducktail beard is a full beard style where the chin hair is allowed to grow longer, resembling the tail of a duck. The beard is typically kept short on the sides, allowing the ducktail to stand out.
10. Goatee: A goatee refers to a style where facial hair is grown only on the chin and mustache areas. Variations such as the full goatee or circle beard, which connects the mustache to the chin hair, are popular choices.
11. Anchor Beard: As the name suggests, this style looks like an anchor. It consists of a pointed beard that traces the jawline, combined with a mustache.
12. Royal Beard: The royal beard, also known as the royale or royal goatee, combines a mustache with a chin beard, but the two do not connect, creating a distinct look.
13. Chevron: While technically a mustache style, the chevron works perfectly with short stubble for a timeless look. This style is characterized by thick, full mustache hair that covers the width of the upper lip.
14. Extended Goatee: Also known as the Hollywoodian, the extended goatee is a combination of a mustache and a goatee that extends along the jawline, with the cheeks clean-shaven. This style is often sported by Hollywood actors, hence the name.
Specialty and Vintage-Inspired Beards
15. Soul Patch: The soul patch is a small patch of hair under the lower lip and above the chin. It can be worn alone or combined with other beard styles.
16. Balbo: The Balbo beard style is characterized by a detached mustache and a beard that covers the chin and the area below the lower lip. It's perfect for those wanting to replicate the sophistication of 1940s Hollywood.
17. Mutton Chops: Mutton chops are sideburns that are more extended and fuller, usually extending to the corners of the mouth. They can be worn with or without a mustache.
18. Van Dyke Beard: This style features a detached mustache and a pointy chin beard, with the cheeks clean-shaven. It's named after the 17th-century painter Anthony Van Dyck.
Modern and Trendy Beards
19. Chin Strap Beard: This style follows the jawline from one side of the face to the other, including the chin. It's an excellent choice for those who want to emphasize their jawline.
20. Beard Fade: A beard fade involves gradually decreasing the beard length as it moves up the face, blending into the hairstyle. This modern look requires regular upkeep and a good set of clippers.
Each of these short beard styles has its own charm and unique appeal. Finding the right one for you can enhance your facial features and be an exciting journey of self-expression.
Essential Tools for Maintaining Your Short Beard
Maintaining a short beard requires certain essential tools. Here are some recommendations for grooming your facial hair:
Beard Trimmer: A quality beard trimmer is the backbone of any beard care routine. It helps you keep your beard at the desired length and shape, whether you're styling a short stubble or a full beard.
Clippers: Clippers are useful for thicker, coarser beards and can help maintain styles like mutton chops or a chin strap beard.
Scissors: For precision trimming and styling, especially for styles like the handlebar mustache or soul patch, a good pair of beard scissors is indispensable.
Basic Beard Care: Tips for a Healthy Short Beard
A well-kept beard doesn’t just look good. It's also a sign of good hygiene. Here are some basic beard care tips to help you maintain a healthy short beard:
Conditioning: Regularly applying a beard conditioner or beard balm helps to moisturize your beard hair, making it softer and less prone to frizz.
Beard Oil: Beard oil can keep your beard looking shiny and healthy and can also help soothe any skin irritation beneath your beard.
Trimming: Regular trimming helps maintain the shape of your beard and promotes more uniform beard growth. Remember to trim your neckline and cheek line according to your chosen beard style.
Cleaning: Regularly wash your beard using a gentle beard wash to remove any dirt or oil buildup, and remember to moisturize after to prevent dryness.
Diet and Exercise: Lastly, a healthy diet and regular exercise can boost hair growth and lead to a fuller, healthier beard.
Taking care of your beard is as important as choosing the right style. A well-maintained beard can enhance your overall look and give you an extra boost of confidence.
The Role of Quality Beard Care Products
Having a beard is not just about the style you choose; it's also about the care you provide to your facial hair. A well-groomed beard reflects your personal style and attention to detail. Thus, it's essential to invest in quality beard care products to maintain a healthy, sleek, and stylish beard.
If you're in the market for high-quality beard care essentials, look no further than The Beard Club. Our extensive range of products is designed to suit every beard need, from nurturing a fledgling stubble to maintaining a well-shaped full beard.
It's time to take your beard game to the next level. Choosing the best short beard style that complements your face shape is just the beginning. With regular maintenance using The Beard Club products, you can ensure your beard stays as impressive as the first day you styled it. Step into a world where every day is a good beard day.